When I walked into my first EWB-USA Board of Directors meeting in 2013, I had no idea how much my term as the student representative would shape me. Over the past two years, I have enjoyed the opportunity to work with all levels of the EWB-USA organization, from our tireless HQ staff to our thriving student membership. Now, it’s time to pass the torch to a new student board member representative.
For me, the best part of this experience was serving the organization that has molded me into the person I am today. My field experiences as a member of the EWB-USA Rice University Chapter shaped my college experience in more ways than a classroom ever could. Likewise, my experience in the boardroom has shaped my professional development in more ways than a desk job ever could.
At quarterly board meetings, you’ll have the opportunity to weigh in on strategic decisions about the future of the organization. But the opportunities for the student representative go far beyond the boardroom. I’ve had the opportunity to:
- Visit students at regional conferences from coast to coast;
- Speak on behalf of EWB-USA at an international engineering conference in Kuwait;
- Work with deans from engineering schools at the National Academy of Engineering in Washington, D.C. to create more educational experiences that incorporate global perspectives;
- Share EWB-USA’s mission and vision with our passionate corporate and individual donors across the country;
- Drive new initiatives with leaders at EWB-International affiliate organizations
I encourage you to reflect on your EWB-USA experience, channel your passion for the organization, and apply to succeed me as the student representative on the EWB-USA Board of Directors. Applications are due by June 15.